The seven warning signs of mold toxicity that you must know | Plumber in Atascadero, CA

The seven warning signs of mold toxicity that you must know | Plumber in Atascadero, CA

Toxic mold is a term which refers to molds that produce mycotoxcin, a dangerous organism which can cause disease and even death in both humans and animals. The adverse health effects that toxic mold can cause depends on a person’s vulnerability to airborne diseases. Some people are simply more sensitive to molds than others. But even the most resistant immune systems are helpless against too much exposure to dangerous levels of mold.

One of the biggest proliferators of mold is moisture. A leaky pipe can easily allow water to seep into unknown areas of the house and create the perfect conditions for moisture to grow. For the vast majority of the times they are visible and therefore, easily diagnosable. But it is not uncommon for mold to be hidden behind walls outside of view. They can then easily spread to every corner of the house, spreading diseases. For instance, did you know that there are over 50 species of molds, some of which can even cause cancer. The dangers posed by mold are reason enough for a person to learn about their symptoms and do what needs to be done to stop them dead in their tracks!

The coughs just never stop

An excessive cough is a symptom of allergic reactions or complications with the immune system due to problems like asthma and sinus infections. A cough can be caused due to influenza and respiratory viruses. Toxic mold can cause airborne diseases to spread into nose cavity and create conditions for coughing. The exact reason can only be determined by a doctor, and the possibility for a mold should not be ruled out.

Are your eyes itchy?

You might find your hands involuntarily reaching for your eyes every now and then to ease itchy and watery eyes. These can be caused by seasonal allergic symptoms and other irritating substances that could be caused by pollen in the air. There are times when mycotoxins might enter inside your eyes and make them itchy. If the itchy eyes become more problematic, the person might end up hurting themselves and cause problems like swelling and redness to the eyes. If the problem persists, avoid rubbing your eyes every so often and consult your doctor.

To eliminate the off chance that your house is plagued with mycotoxins due to mold, enlist the services of a plumber in Atascadero, CA.

Getting depressed

Depression doesn’t always have to do with psychological disruptions to your mind. Physiological reasons, such as exposure to toxic mold can just as easily create conditions for abruptly swinging moods, the worst of which is depression. This mental condition you should not be ignored for long periods of time and must be diagnosed by a certified doctor at your earliest convenience.

Headaches due to mold

Mold exposure can cause headaches in several ways. The most common is an allergic reaction to the mold which could provoke nasal allergies or a sinus inflammation. Congested sinuses can also cause headaches. The most typical headache associated with mold congestion is found in the front of the head, in the forehead or below the eyes. It is important to get a physical examination if you seem to have developed a chronic cough unexpectedly. Follow this up by asking aprofessionalplumber in Atascadero, CA to find out if your house has become a breeding ground for toxic mold.

Too many asthma attacks

Asthma attacks can be triggered by exposure to allergens. They can be caused due to strong odors and toxic mold. Asthma attacks can make your chest feel tight and lead to labored breathing.

You no longer feel energetic

Remember when you used to feel energetic and bubbly, always looking forward to the day’s events? Now that you’re feeling a lot less energetic, the days tend to be stretched out and you are simply too sleep deprived. This too is a sign of toxic mold creeping into your body and hammering its immune system.


Chronic Inflammatory Response Syndrome or CIRS can affect at least 2 percent of the population that has a genetic makeup predisposed to biotoxin related illnesses. Studies have shown that roughly 1 in 4 people have the potential of developing CIRS when they are exposed to biotoxins. A report published by the Federal Facilities Council called Implementing Health Protective Features and Practices in Buildings found that over 43 percent of buildings they examined had water damage. When left unchecked, water damage can allow mold to grow in as little as 24 hours. Obviously, these residents felt confident in their current plumbing arrangement and were unaware of their dangerous predicament until it was too late.

What can be done to minimize mold buildup?

  • Your best bet against curing mold is to keep humidity levels at a certain range. Plumbers in Atascadero, CA recommend a range of 30 to 50 percent. So, set your air conditioning systems accordingly.
  • Fix those plumbing leaks as soon as possible. Dry any items that are affected by leaky pipes immediately.
  • If you feel that your carpet has been compromised with mold, get rid of it immediately. It’s the same for absorbent or porous materials such as ceiling tiles and carpets. Don’t choose the easy way out by painting moldy surfaces.
  • Scrub the mold clean off surfaces with chemical detergents and water. Make sure to dry the item with a towel.
  • Your air conditioner can also create very moist conditions. Keep those drip pans clean and the remove any obstruction from the drain lines to ensure proper flow of water.
  • Ask your plumber to makes sure that the ground is sloping away from the foundation of the building to prevent the buildup of water.
  • Do not install carpets, curtains or other fabric which could cause moisture problems to occur.

Remember to get your house audited by a professional plumber in Atascadero, CA so you can minimize mold in your home. At Benjamin Franklin Plumbing, we provide you with highly trained plumbers who have years of experience and training under their belt to make short work of any plumbing problems you may have. Give us a call today to have your house free of dangerous biotoxins today!

Set Appointment

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.